Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Let's hit the skins!


Welcome to my blog designed for drummers to help keep the beat within their craft.  I have been a drummer (at heart) for all my life and I have been playing professionally for about sixteen years.  For the past six years I have made a living as a drummer, yup’ that’s what I put on my tax returns, but getting to that point hasn’t been easy.  It has taken a lot of work, sacrifice and of course practice, practice, practice.  Thanks to the countless hours in the woodshed and the assistance I have received from teachers, friends, associates and people in the music business I now am able to pay my rent, car loan, health insurance and even enjoy dinners that aren’t Ramen Noodles or Mac and Cheese with the money I make from banging on the drums. My purpose of this blog is to help those drummers out there whom hope one day to be able to make a living playing the drums.

I have learned a lot from my experience in the music business.  The biggest thing I have learned is that it isn’t always the easy advice or pats on the back that will help you become better, rather it is the kicks to the shins and blows to your ego that will have the most impact…if you choose to listen and press forward.  So I have decided to write my blog that same way, pulling no punches and dropping hard truths on my readers.  The ones who come back for a little more insight are the ones who are going to succeed.

With that being said I will offer my first piece of advice.  PRACTICE! Even if you already think you are the best.  PRACTICE!  Even if you are already making money or in a popular band PRACTICE!.  Practice those rudiments.  Watch those drumming videos at  http://www.drummerworld.com/ or on YouTube.  Go get a subscription to Modern Drummer http://www.moderndrummer.com/.  Later on in this blog I will introduce you to some awesome practice techniques and learning resources, but for now you MUST get out those sticks and hit those drums.  Businesspeople go to college, doctors to med school, and lawyers to law school.  Drummers need to go practice it all starts there.

Good luck and I hope to see you back for some more drumming insight.

~Jeremy Larochelle

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeremy, I have recently became a drummer. A little history about myself, I was in the band in middle and high school as a brass player. I played the cymbals for a few special drumline competitions. My heart is music and when ever I had an idea for a song I would go looking for a drummer. The problem was what I heard in my head the drummer could never produce, so I picked up drumming. I have been playing the drums for about 2 years now, still very green. If you every saw me you would probably say I'm out of control. That is only when the tempo is fast and I have some rolls in there. I will be following your post cause I am very curious to see what you have to tell me that I am doing wrong. Good luck and hope to see more post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and the following. I just added a blog entitled "A Test of Time" this is a simple lesson that will really help you get you internal clock in check. Good luck, and keep on drumming!

    ReplyDelete