Thursday, December 2, 2010

History of Music Practice Sessions

Hey folks,

I have been off from my work at The Balsams Grand Resort for the past ten weeks or so and in the interim I have been hitting the practice shed pretty hard.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been going through a Music History Course in college which has inspired me to add a new depth to my practice routine. I have decided to conduct my own music drumming history by playing along with an album from my collection for each decade.  In the process I have opened my ears up to the evolution of our craft, and I have collected some notes on what the drummers of each era are borrowing from past masters and what the new guys are bringing to the table for the future masters of our craft.

I will begin posting notes on each album shortly.  Thus far I have played with "Steaming with the Miles Davis Quartet" for the jazz era.  I covered the sixties with a greatest hit cd and a couple of Beatles discs.  The 70's is represented by The Steve Miller Band.  80's is still undecided.  90's is "Crash" by the Dave Matthews Band and 2000 is the MTV unplugged performance of Jay-Z.

So check back and find out what I learn from each decade.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment