Saturday, January 7, 2012

Merchandise now available

Hey to all you drummers out there,

I just launched an online store with a small collection of drum themed t-shirts, mugs, and other items.  I will be adding more each week.  You can check out the new line by clicking here!




I have included a bunch of items with the statement "drumming is peace", well, because it is. Over the years studying this craft I have learned how important the drum has been to the development of our planet. The sound of the drum mimics the heart beat and that is why the earliest indigenous tribes in Africa used drums and drumming to communicate with one another even before they learned how to speak.

Over the evolution of our planet the idea of rhythm spread to every corner of the world and many cultures based their own unique dances to specific drum rhythms.  In many tribal societies it was believed that the drummer could speak to the gods and was highly revered by the entire village for these powers. For other communities the drums signified a time of joy and happiness. Slaves played drums to keep their spirits up after long arduous hours in the fields. Carnival in Rio is based around specific drum beats that get those beautiful booties shaking. Even in our modern society we can still see how important the "beat" is. Club dance music is almost completely absent of lyrics and melodies, instead it is built on the pounding rhythmic bass that keeps the drinks flowing and the spirits up.

I once had the pleasure to meet the Ambassador to South Africa. When he found out I was a drummer we became great friends. Someday I will blog the amazing conversation I had with him for hours about how respected the drummer still was in many parts of the globe, but for now I will sit back and relax knowing that what I do is as true to the heart as anything out there because "drumming is peace!"

No comments:

Post a Comment